If you want to eat a healthy diet then start buying more beans. A single daily serving of legumes can contribute to both weight loss and reduced cholesterol levels, according to research in the American Journal Of Clinical Nutrition. This is thanks to beans’ high protein and fibre content, which help promote feelings of fullness. Try this quick and easy ten-minute meal that’s packed with three types of beans and also tastes great.
Three-Bean Salad Recipe
The combination of three beans in this salad gives you a low-GI carbohydrate source, so you get slow-release energy rather than falling asleep at your desk mid-afternoon (which never goes down well with the boss). The kidney and mung beans also pack an impressive veggie protein punch, allowing you to vary your sources of the all-powerful muscle-building macronutrient. Plus all that fibre keeps you as regular as Big Ben.
- 100g kidney beans
- 100g mung beans
- 100g cannellini beans
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1tsp chopped parsley
- Handful of baby spinach leaves
- Handful of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1tbsp grated cheddar
- Pinch of black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan and fry the onion and pepper on a medium heat for three minutes.
- Rinse and drain the beans, add to the pan and cook for another minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Add the lemon juice and parsley, stir and leave to cool.
- Toss the iceberg and baby spinach in a separate container.
- Place the bean mixture on top of this and finish with black pepper and grated cheese.